Press release: 12.378-218/20

Final energy consumption increased by 1% in 2019

Vienna, 2020-11-27 – In 2019, final energy consumption increased by 1% to 1 139 petajoules (PJ) compared to the previous year, and was thus roughly at the same level as in 2017, according to Statistics Austria. This increase is mainly due to increases in energy consumption in the transport sector (+2% to 413 PJ) and in private households (+2% to 281 PJ). The development of energy consumption in the household sector (+2%) exceeds that of the total heating degree sum (+1%) or the development of the population (+0.5%).

The energy consumption of the services sector – of which more than 60% is used to provide space heating – showed an increase of 3% to 112 PJ, whereas the energy consumption in the industry sector decreased slightly (-2% to 312 PJ) compared to the previous year.

The increase in energy consumption in the transport sector of 2% is mainly due to the 15% increase in air traffic to 41 PJ. The energy consumption of air traffic has increased by 50% in the last ten years (consumption 2009: 28 PJ). As in previous years, the energy consumption for road traffic again increased from 2018 to 2019 (+1% to 353 PJ), corresponding to the development of the number of motor vehicles (+1%) over the same period.

The final energy consumption of renewable energy sources and electricity did not show any significant change compared to the previous year. The consumption of coal-based energy sources (+1% to 17 PJ), natural gas (+1% to 198 PJ) and district heating (+1% to 72 PJ), however, showed a development that corresponds to that of the total heating degree sum. The increase in the consumption of petroleum products (+2% to 439 PJ) is largely determined by the development in the transport sector.

Natural gas storage facilities are well filled

As a result of increased imports (+9% to 492 PJ) and reduced exports (-46% to 98 PJ) of natural gas, the natural gas stocks increased accordingly (+106 PJ). This increase corresponds to more than a third of the total annual consumption (final consumption including electricity and district heating generation as well as material use e.g. for the production of chemical products such as fertilizers).

Increase in electricity production offset by decreased imports and increased exports

The production of electrical energy increased in 2019 by 9% to 255 PJ compared to the previous year. With about the same use as in the previous year, the roughly constant final energy consumption was compensated for by reduced imports (-7% to 94 PJ) and increased exports (+20% to 83 PJ).

In the indigenous production of primary fuels, the relevant fossil fuels decreased (crude oil: -5% to 28 PJ, natural gas: -10% to 32 PJ), while the generation of renewable energy sources increased by 5% to 430 PJ. The highest rates of increase were observed above all in hydropower (+7% to 146 PJ), wind power (+24% to 27 PJ) and photovoltaics (+17% to 6 PJ).

Both the production and the end consumption of district heating showed an increase of 1% (to 85 PJ and 72 PJ, respectively), which is in line with the development of the total heating degree sum.

For more detailed results please refer to our website.


Information on methods, definitions: The final energy balance sheet for Austria is produced on behalf of the Federal Ministry for Climate Protection, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology, the provincial energy balances on behalf of the federal states.  
Heating degree sums are calculated from the sum of the daily differences between room temperature and mean outside temperature during the entire heating period and are thus an indicator for the heating energy demand. Other factors that determine the development of energy consumption are the permanent resident population and the number of motor vehicles.

For further inquiries please contact Directorate Spatial Statistics, Statistics Austria:  
Dr Manfred GOLLNER, Tel. +43 1 71128-7573 resp. and 
Jasmin GÜLDEN STERZL, MA, Tel. +43 1 71128-7235 resp.

Media owner, producer and publisher: 
STATISTICS AUSTRIA, Federal Institution under Public Law 
1110 Vienna, Austria, Guglgasse 13, Tel.: +43 1 71128-7777