Statistics Austria chaired Council Working Party on Statistics during Austria’s EU-Presidency 2018
Austria held the Presidency of the Council of the European Union from 1 July until 31 December 2018.
- Planning and chairing of meetings of the various Council formations and of its more than 150 preparatory working groups
- Cooperation with Member States (acting as a neutral broker)
- Representation of the Council in consultations and negotiations with other EU institutions, such as the European Parliament and the Commission, particularly with regard to European legislation
The Council Working Party on Statistics (CWPS) dealing with legislative proposals in the area of statistics will be chaired by Statistics Austria’s Director General Dr Konrad Pesendorfer. During this period the CWPS will meet six times.
The following legislative proposals were under discussion in the area of statistics/CWPS:
- FRIBS (Framework Regulation Integrating Business Statistics): FRIBS is a legislative proposal in the area of business statistics, which – by repealing ten legislative acts and introducing a common legal framework – aims to simplify EU law and to ensure the consistency of European business statistics.
- Statistics on Migration and International Protection: The legislative proposal aims at addressing the increased demand for precise and timely community statistics in the area of migration and international protection.
- IESS (Integrated European Social Statistics): The IESS proposal seeks to harmonise the legal framework for European statistics on persons and households based on individual-level data collected from samples, as well as to increase the efficiency of data collections.
- GNI (Gross National Income at Market Prices): This proposal comprises an update to the legal framework of the gross national income at market prices, which also serves as basis for the calculation of Member States’ contributions to the EU’s own resources.
- ESP (European Statistical Programme) 2021–2027 within the framework of the Single Market Programme: Negotiations on the Multiannual Financial Framework for the years 2021 to 2027 have already started in the European Union. Within this new framework, the ESP will be included as part of the Single Market Programme which covers the Single Market, competitiveness of businesses as well as European statistics.
© STATISTICS AUSTRIA, Last Changed 15.01.2021